Sunday, October 27, 2013

Matters of the Heart

The Dove


Relief breaks across my heart like waves upon a sandy shore,
The struggle that I could not fight has left to trouble me no more.

Before the face of certain death, I stood alone, unarmed and proud,
My heart resigned for what should come, a living, beating burial shroud.

The treasure of my inner soul, the light which shines within my sky,
The one I love above all else, had threatened from my world to fly.

What chain, what grasp, what anchoring weight, could I attach to such a one,
When love requires open hands, and she must fly free in the sun.

And so no harsh or angry words, no pleading for a time to come,
Could pass my lips, but only this, "I love you, till my life is done."

And so set free, my love did soar, a gentle flapping towards to air,
And just before she passed from sight, she paused and turned with grace so rare.

And back into my life she flew, a shy, unsteady, halting flight,
And to my open hands she came, and set my life and heart aright.

No comments:

Post a Comment